Sunday, May 6, 2012

Today, we fight.

Over the past few days, I have given a lot of thought on the United Methodist Churches' General Conference. For those of you who don't know, the United Methodist Church currently does not allow people who classify themselves as gay to become ordained ministers. I do not agree with this. Not because I am gay (which I am not), but because I KNOW that God loves everyone. If anyone should judge, it should be God. Not us. 

 As a youth, well now young adult, I know that my voice is not always heard. Many people of the older generation act as if that my voice is wrong, or even invalid. So that is why I'm starting this blog. I don't care how many people follow it, read it or talk about it. But I want all youth to know that their voice- their one thing that they can call their own- is as valid as it gets. 

I know that many people my age are leaving the church. Honestly, I thought about it too. After praying for many days I realized that all my greatest memories are from the church. I have met wonderful people, have been given amazing opportunities, gone places I never thought I would, and have grown spiritually. 

So I decided to stay. And fight.

Because what can be more impacting then standing up for what you believe in. Martin Luther King Jr. didn't just think about civil rights, he preached them! Harvey Milk didn't sit and watch people who are gay be discriminated against, he fought for their acceptance. And that is what I'm going to do. I'm going to speak out against the bashing. I will not give up until equality is reached. 

But to the older generations of the United Methodist Church, to the people who are using hurtful language against the LGBT community, do you not understand that young people are leaving the church?! We sit in the pews every Sunday and question why there are only 5 people under the age of 50 in a church of 100+ people. Now do you understand?

I will be continuing this blog until justice is done.  

6 comments:

  1. My name is Jane, and Becca is my niece. Thank you for writing this and for staying to fight for justice. You give me hope. I am sharing the link to your blog. Your voice is being heard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this. I'll be following your blog with much interest. Your Facebook share with the enormous "I'm Sorry" and commentary below was awe-inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well stated, Dakota. As one member of the older generation (although it pains me to admit to that classification) who agrees with you, I'm so proud that you are taking a stand...and I stand with you, my young friend. As a church, the UMC absolutely must live out its motto. It's not enough to say "we have Open Minds, Open Hearts and Open Doors"...we must show that we really mean it through our actions. It's no secret that I am very, very disappointed by the decisions made during the 2012 General Conference. The closed minds of those who unfortunately are in the majority is appalling. Someday we will prevail, I know it...but it will take many young people like yourself to make that happen. So thank you for your voice...thank you for your blog...and thank you for your work toward social justice. You are a bright light the darkness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It wasn’t long ago I decided to stay and fight, too. I’ll fight alongside you to bring the love of Jesus to everyone. The world needs it!

    ReplyDelete