Monday, May 7, 2012

Carpe Diem

It is astounding to think that this blog has gotten over 200 page views in under 24 hours. To all who have shared, liked or read this blog- Thank you. It is a true blessing.

So today at school, I had someone confront me about this blog. It was made clear to me that this person did not believe that what I am doing is going to be effective. My response: "Carpe Diem."

(Let me add that this person is a great person and is a friend of mine. I do not believe that this person is a bad person in any way.)

Looking confused, they walked away without response.

Why did I say that, you may ask? It's simple. What I am doing here is 'seizing the day'. I am taking what time I have, and am making the best of it. I am hopeful that I will make change, but I can't do it without you.

So today, I give you a challenge. This challenge is not exclusively for the LGBT community, not for youth and young adults, not for pastors, but for EVERYONE. Today, I challenge you to talk about the United Methodist Church.

And I don't mean talking about our system, how it works, or who preaches at your church Sunday morning. I mean, talk about what is going on!! Bring up the social issues of the LGBT community receiving equal rights in your church charge conference meetings, bring it up at your potlucks, bring it up in your Covenant Councils, bring it up in your Sunday school classes! But also, bring it up to the non-Methodists, the barista at the coffee shop, the person doing your hair... just anyone!! Show them that we ARE making a change. We want to have a change. We need it.

I know, it sounds crazy to talk about, but we need to start the conversation. Without conversation, we can't spread the word of equality. If we want to see change at the next General Conference in four years, we must start now. And it starts with you, my friend. So, begin the conversation!

Good luck, brothers and sisters in Christ.

And remember, Carpe Diem.

1 comment:

  1. This young adult verifies what I have been saying all along. I come from a generation who left the church. In droves. Why? Because we sensed we were not welcome unless we agreed fully with everything that was said in and about the church. We recognized exclusion - we sensed loneliness in the midst of people who claimed to be welcoming and open. Some of us found other ways of being spiritual. Some of us never returned. Perhaps we were afraid. Perhaps we were unable to face the rejection and denial of what we felt was right. Today's new young adults are not afraid. Some of us who returned to the church later with less fear than we had when we left see great hope in today's young adults. We are no longer afraid, and we welcome the words of these who know clearly what is right.

    Ok - I speak for myself...but I do not believe that I am alone. Thank you, Dakota, for saying what I never had the guts to say when I was your age.

    ReplyDelete