Monday, May 28, 2012

Do We Need a Ticket?

Today, I sit in my conference's Covenant Council for the last time as the youth representative for the Desert Southwest Conference of the United Methodist Church.

In this meeting, we had a segment focused on the 2012 General Conference led by two of our delegates that we sent. As they started talking, one mentioned that during this conference, there was an amendment made that would allow for a paragraph to be added to the Preamble of Social Principles that would acknowledge that we do not agree on topics of opinion as it relates to social justice issues. This did not pass in a regular session, but instead through the Legislative Committee.

Naturally, there was opposition. The minority put together a report, which went through many changes, which emphasized that "our beliefs and practices can separate us from a loving relationship with God. After many changes, there was eventually a decision to say that nothing can separate us from the love and grace of God. This only got a 56% support vote. (just for reference, I did skip some things that happened in this process, but I wanted to keep this short.)

Which confused me. Not the whole process, but that only 56% of the delegates voted that God's grace was for everyone.

I mean, are we saying that we need a ticket for God's grace? "Please show your tickets! No grace without a ticket! Oh you don't have one? Goodbye!"
Or should we go through life waiting by the mailbox for that acceptance letter to God's love?

I don't think so.

Because I have never seen that in the Bible. In Romans 3:24, Paul even explains that God's grace is given to all of his children.

To call ourselves people of the United Methodist denomination, we must fully live out our mission statement: Open Hearts, Open Minds, Open Doors. God's grace cannot be determined by us, it's his/hers to give. We must accept all people just as God does.

With  acceptance, comes understanding. With understanding comes communication. With communication, comes growth. If we want to GROW, let's rethink how we do things.

So just as I have been doing, I will give you another challenge. Today, look at one person, and let them know that they have God's grace. Don't worry, I'm not telling you to run around the mall screaming, "God's love is for you, and you, and YOU!" I mean, if you do, all the more power to you. But just give them a hug, pay for their meal without telling, hold open the door for them. Maybe sit and talk to the person eating alone, or even help someone carry their groceries to their car. It's those random acts of kindness that really amplify the love of God.

I hope to hear the great things you all are doing!

And, I must add: Lord, in your loving mercy, hear my prayer.

2 comments:

  1. I love reading your thoughts. In all honesty, I feel empowered when I do. Thank you for starting this- and know that someone is always listening to what you have to say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should start writing again.

    ReplyDelete